Environmental efficiency through innovation and production development
Raisio operates in a sustainable manner, respecting the environment. We follow environmental impacts of our operations, and develop the operations in a sustainable and goal-oriented way. Raisio’s environmental priorities are the reduction of energy usage, the improvement of material efficiency and innovations benefiting the environment and customers.
Main events in 2016
- Reporting and monitoring of the Group’s environmental impacts were harmonised with a new data management system.
- All the Group’s production functions drew up plans to improve energy and material efficiency.
- Raisio developed several innovations promoting sustainability of the primary food production. Baltic Blend fish feeds, milking robot monitoring (Tuotostutka) and a urea index describing greenhouse emissions from milk production are good examples of these innovations.
- WWF Finland added Finnish farmed whitefish on the green list of its Seafood Guide in 2016. Several Raisio’s fish feed innovations have reduced the environmental impacts of fish farming.
- The Czech Confectionery business invested in the wastewater treatment that resulted in improved wastewater quality and enabled the use of recovered biogas. The investment improved energy efficiency and allows the expansion of production.
- The UK Confectionery business is involved in the Climate Change Act aiming to reduce energy consumption.
Raisio reports on the environmental impact arising from its production. Raisio’s operations cause environmental impacts throughout the life cycle of products. In 2016, Raisio had nine production plants in Finland, the UK and Czech Republic. Our environmental efficiency development is goal-oriented, particularly in energy and material efficiency.
The company invests in renewable energy. Raisio started building a bioenergy plant in its industrial area. The plant will be completed during the spring 2017. As a result, the carbon footprint of Raisio’s production plants will decrease significantly as, at the same time, the company will discontinue its use of coal-based industrial steam.
Raisio operates in accordance with rules and regulations. No environmental damages were identified in the Group’s offices and the Group received no fines or sanctions for violations of environmental legislation in 2016.
Raisio’s production plants are not located in protected areas or in areas of high biodiversity value, or in their immediate vicinity.
- Environmental investments were carried out to enhance energy production and consumption, waste reduction and wastewater treatment.
- In the fish feed production, heat recovery was renewed, which improved the energy use.
- In the production of cholesterol-lowering Benecol ingredient, a new operating model resulted in significant energy savings.
- The Group’s energy consumption per produced product tonne decreased by four per cent.
- The amount of landfill waste declined by 62 per cent. The amount of recovered waste increased to 94 per cent. Investments and improvements in the equipment contributed to the results.
- Raisio’s product packages are mainly made of recycled material.
Objectives for 2016-2018
- We will enhance our energy use.
- We will perform energy audits at all our production plants at least every two years.
- We will analyse material efficiency in terms of raw materials and other production inputs. We will decrease waste at our production plants.
- We will only use recyclable materials in our product packages.
- We continue to develop and commercialise innovations that benefit the environment and our customers.