Healthy choices for everyday life
Raisio’s product range includes healthy and ecological alternatives for everyday eating. Cholesterol-lowering Benecol products support heart health as part of an active lifestyle. We make good and healthy food choices easy for consumers.
Main events in 2016
- More than 90 per cent of our new foods are healthy products.
- 60 per cent of all Raisio’s foods are healthier alternatives in their own categories.
- Based on expert recommendations, Raisio defined the criteria for healthy foods.
- Benecol Soft Chew food supplement is a new, convenient way for cholesterol lowering; it is portable and can be stored at room temperature.
- Raisioagro’s milking robot monitoring service provides milk producers with solutions to develop animal feeding and to ensure the well-being of cows.
- Hercules Opti feeding innovation secures the EPA and DHA fatty acid levels in the Benella Rainbow Trout.
Raisio’s products are mainly plant-based. Healthy wholegrains are important raw materials for us. Vitamins, minerals, fibres and good fats are naturally present in, for example, oats and rye. 85 per cent of our grain products are rich in fibre.
Raisio’s product range includes, for example, porridges, snack biscuits, snack drinks, snack bars, flours, side dishes as well as cholesterol-lowering spreads and minidrinks.
85% of our grain products rich in fibre
When developing healthy products, we pay attention to the levels of wholegrain and fibre, the quality of fat, and the salt and sugar content. In the development of Raisio’s confectionery production, our focus has been on alternatives for artificial colours and flavours instead of nutritional values.
Eating habits are changing, and fewer and fewer people have time or opportunity to follow traditional meal rhythm. Since up to 40 per cent of daily energy intake comes from snacks, their nutritional composition is important.
Snacks make all the difference
Elovena product line has several oaty snacks, and particularly sales of snack biscuits have increased significantly. In 2016, Elovena expanded into new product categories, such as mueslis and quarks with healthy oats creating added value to consumers. Nalle and Provena lines also include a number of healthy wholegrain products.
Cholesterol-lowering Benecol products are functional foods. EU has granted plant stanol ester of these products a disease risk reduction health claim. According to the claim, plant stanol ester is proven to lower serum cholesterol levels. High cholesterol is a risk factor for coronary heart disease. Benecol product marketing highlights the importance of a healthy lifestyle in cholesterol lowering. Our new Benecol Soft Chew food supplement launched in 2016 is an easy way to lower cholesterol while travelling or at work.
Cooperation with organisations
- Raisio cooperates with several organisations promoting heart health, such as European Atherosclerosis Society, Heart UK and Finnish Heart Association.
- Raisio and the Finnish Athletics Federation (SUL) continued their long-term cooperation in the children’s nutrition and physical education. Elovena Power Days were organised in primary schools around Finland.
- Raisio and WWF Finland have conducted cooperation since 2010. We aim to, for example, promote sustainable development, make responsible consumer choices easier, ensure environmentally responsible raw materials and promote sustainability of Finnish fish farming.
- With its Pink Bales campaign, Raisioagro raised a total of EUR 9,300 to the Breast Cancer Association Europa Donna Finland. Pink bale wraps were sold and part of the proceeds was donated to The Breast Cancer Association's national peer support activities.
Objectives for 2016-2018
- 2/3 of our foods are healthier alternatives in their own categories.
- We will develop cattle and fish feed innovations promoting well-being of people and animals.